When summertime rolls around, we begin planning a vacation, family time at the beach, or a chance to get away and enjoy the outdoors. But as temperatures rise, it’s important to find ways to keep cool without breaking the bank. Here are a few simple, practical ideas that can help you beat the heat:
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing in light colors and airy fabrics.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water and juice.
- Avoid hot foods and consider cooler options like chilled soups, fruit or garden salads, cold pasta salads or sandwiches.
- Set your air conditioner to re-circulate. This not only keeps the air cooler, but makes it easier on your vehicle to maintain the desired temperature.
- Consider traveling during the milder morning and evening hours and finding shelter inside when the sun is at its most dangerous (10am – 4pm).
- Dampen a handkerchief or washcloth and use it to keep your face, arms and neck cool.
- Window vents are an affordable option that allows warm air to vent out while the cooler outside air can find its way in.
- Keep a change of cool summer clothes in your vehicle – you can easily freshen up should an afternoon turn unusually hot.
Have fun, drive safely and don’t forget the sunscreen!